Tuesday, May 19

Potty Training

After some inspiration from my Mom and her relaying to me the information from an article by John Rosemond we are making strides in potty training Abigail. Initially when my mom was telling me the information I thought it was ridiculous, too harsh and several other things. But after thinking it over I realized that while Rosemond advocated taking things to a level I wasn't comfortable with that I could tweak his method to something less harsh. The next morning I had Abigail sit on the toilet until she went. It took forty-five minutes but she went, which I haven't been able to get her to do in months of using a more "child-centered" potty training method. The first week or so was very stressful with many similarly lengthed sessions but now when I get her to the potty at the right time (immediately after she wakes up or an hour or so after she went the last time) she usually goes within five minutes. I'm waiting until we move to the new house (all tile floors, no carpet) to take it further. I bought Abigail some Disney princess underwear to switch her to and after we make the move I plan on leaving her in those during the day. Hopefully this will get her to take the next step in potty training - telling me when she needs to go.

1 comment:

~Kimberly said...

Switching to underwear was huge for Trevor. He hated getting them wet! Good luck! After a week or so (seems like forever) and lots of laundry, it will all be worth it! NO MORE DIAPERS!!! $$$$$$